Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Day 07 - I weep for humanity

All the problems that exist in this messed up world can't be written in one post - and I for sure don't qualify as the right person to do so. Just looking at the homo sapiens that my generation consists of, makes me want to jump off the closest bridge. It's true, life wasn't perfect before either, and it surely wasn't as comfortable as it is now, but it was different in so many good ways. If you wanted to talk to someone you would have to do it in person - not as comfortable as IM or e-mails, but I bet that in those times there weren't so many people suffering from anxiety or social phobia. Now don't get me wrong, I love technology and I don't wan't to live without my computer or internet connection; I like having a digital camera or being able to take my music with me wherever I go, but I'd like to trade my awkwardness with some social skills, please.

Books?
Today's teens value movies over books. Excuse my humble opinion, but that's bullshit. Most people who don't read make up excuses like 'I don't have enough time' or whatever; but that's not true - if you'd actually want, you'd have time, even if it's ten minutes when you have your lunch. A person who doesn't like books is a person who lacks imagination. They help you develop creativity and you'll enter worlds you never knew they existed. Not to mention books help you with your vocabulary, so that after 10 years of school you're not going to be like 'Yay! I got into collage!'.

Post a photo of you holding bottle of Jack at a party so everyone on Facebook can see how cool you are. Personally, I think people should keep the drunken pictures for themselves, but hey, that's just me! So, let me get this straight; the reason people go to parties is to let other people know that they went? Even if they didn't enjoyed it? Even if they listened to crappy music the whole night? And there are the hipsters - what's so great about wearing frames? Oh wait, I forgot that lens are too mainstream (by the way, being a hipster is too mainstream these days too). Of course there are exceptions - like in everything - which makes me believe that all is not lost. And then there is Rebecca Black..

11 comments:

  1. I enjoy getting drunk as much as the next person, but I agree. It's like a badge of honor to choose ignorance over knowledge. I wish that people would step up and reject that, and move forward. As a collective, mankind is smarter than we've ever been, but western culture itself seems like its never been dumber.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. But then again my contempt for humanity is overwhelming at times so that may not necessarily be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome to generation X, i hate it as well

    ReplyDelete
  4. its so true. Its sad, not one kid in class can pay attention without looking at their cell phone ever 5min. what can't possibly wait for an hour?
    fuck hipsters aswell

    ReplyDelete
  5. While many of the things you say are true, i believe you are being too harsh. Times change, things get better, things get worse. Culture is dynamic, you can't expect to have the same kind of behavior our grandparents did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree that people are gettin exponentially retarded over the course of time, but you are overreacting, it's not like you can't talk ot anyone or everyone has become a freaking zombie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My main problem with today's youth is that they're so bland. When I was a kid we had goths and punks and metal heads and real weirdos. Not like the awkward hipsters now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @1904 Blogger: I honestly don't know. I hate the fact that I have to own a phone. People give me weird looks when I say I don't want it so whatever.

    @Hasidic Plumber: I don't think I'm being too harsh, I only am realistic. I agree, things change for good and for worse but if you'd actually take a good look around, you'd realize how crazy everything got. And I haven't even covered all the problems..

    @GMSoccerPicks: Like I've said in the end, there are exceptions - so I haven't included everyone in that category of retarded people; but what bothers me is that the number of persons you can actually have an enjoyable conversation with is ridiculously low.

    @Timothy Bowen: There still are goths, punks and metal heads it's just that now they don't have attitude; they only dress like that, to be 'different' and then they go home and listen to Lady Gaga. And I'm not just saying, I know people who did that.

    ReplyDelete