Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Day 06 - I can't remember the last time I've read a good book


.. and it sucks. Just the other day I finished reading this book entitled Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld and it was a big disappointment. The title itself sounded intriguing, not to mention about the short presentation of the book:

"On the morning after Sigmund Freud arrives in New York on his first - and only - visit to the United States in 1909, a stunning débutante is found bound and strangled in her penthouse apartment, high above Broadway. The following night, another beautiful heiress, Nora Acton, is discovered tied to a chandelier in her parents' home, viciously wounded and unable to speak or to recall her ordeal. Soon Freud and his American disciple, Stratham Younger, are enlisted to help Miss Acton recover her memory, and to piece together the killer's identity. It is a riddle that will test their skills to the limit and lead them on a journey into the darkest places of the city, and of the human mind."

When seeing the name Freud and the word murder into the same paragraph I immediately decided this is something I have to read. The first 350 pages were plain boring, with a bit of action here and there, only two concrete deaths and everything pretty much predictable, but I said that maybe it will get better; it didn't. Then I thought I should finish it if I got that far with it. I feel like the end was exaggerated and that it didn't fit too well with the rest of the book (but it might be just me; I've read some reviews of the book and they were all saying how amazing it is). What I enjoyed was how Freud, Jung and other psychologists were discussing the subject of the Oedipus complex and how Dr. Younger eventually reinterpreted it:

"The Oedipus complex is real, but the subject of all its predicates is the parent, not the child. And it only worsens as the child grows. A girl soon confronts her mother with a figure whose youth and beauty the mother cannot help resenting. A boy must eventually overtake his father, who as the son grows cannot but feel the churning of generations coming to plow him under. But what parent will acknowledge a wish to kill his own issue? What father will admit to being jealous of his own boy? So the Oedipal complex must be projected onto children. A voice must whisper in the ear of Oedipus’s father that it is not he – the father – who entertains a secret death wish against the son but rather Oedipus who covets the mother and compasses the father’s death. The more intense these jealousies attack the parents, the more destructively they will behave against their own children, and if this occurs they may turn their own children against them – bringing about the very situation they feared."

Rain, y u no use your magical powers?
I'll start reading 'The invisible man' by Herbert George Wells (known as the father of science fiction) so this has to be good. Have you read anything good lately? Or do you have any book recommendations?

Today it rained but unfortunately it didn't help me feel better like it usually does; I still haven't slept well in days and I get massive headaches every day, school starts on Monday but I don't feel like I've been on a holiday, my mother's birthday is coming and I'm broke. Can at least one thing go well for me, just one single time?

9 comments:

  1. @Natural One: I've tried it already; it had no effect >.>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read The Stranger by Camus; it's the last good book I read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd suggest the latest manual of statistics for the insomnia.Treason by Orson Scott Card is always a good read for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry to hear things suck for you. I hope they get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would suggest weed or half a valium. As for the last book i read...hmmm i think it was Superfreakonomics. It was pretty fun but i don't know if you are into that kind of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked fooled by randomness.
    As for the insomnia, you should skip one night sleep and remain awake for the remainder of the next day. You will be so tired you will fall asleep. Next day, try to wake up early. Stick to that schedule and you will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to those who recommend me books, I'll add them to the 'to read' list :D
    @Shockgrubz: I'll look for that manual, maybe it helps.
    @Hasidic Plumber: Weed sounds good haha
    @GMSoccerPicks: That's pretty much my sleep schedule - if it can be called that way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The invisible man is a much better choice, definitely. I also second the Stranger as a recommendation.

    ReplyDelete