Monday, October 17, 2011

More time, better sleep

These weeks I've been playing around with my sleeping schedule, because I need a new and better one. What I need is good, resting sleep - not necessarily long, and more free time because no matter how I'm trying to split it, I never end up finishing all I have to do in one day.
So I tried going to sleep at 10 pm, or a little earlier, and waking up normally - at about 7am. It's such an enjoyable sleep, full of dreams and everything, but not at all resting. During daytime I'm tired and irascible and really not in the mood to do anything but sleep more. Then I also tried going to sleep at about 1-2 after midnight, and waking up normally, which was okay, deep sleep, also resting, but can't remember any dreams. And last night I went to sleep a little after 11pm, maybe it was midnight, I don't remember, and woke up at 5am. It put me in an extremely good mood, was laughing mostly out of anything, I don't know, might be the tiredness saying its word.
So, I've looked up some sleeping schedules, and I'm thinking of trying the Biphasic one, which supposes sleeping twice each day. It involves a 90 minute nap and 3/4.5 hours of core sleep. Found some examples:

75-80 minutes beginning at 19:30
4-4.5 hours beginning at 01:00
vs.
12:30-5:00 am – core sleep (4.5 hours)
6:00-7:30 pm – nap (1.5 hours)
Biphasic sleeping can :

  • reduce the total number of hours you spend asleep (as noted above)
  • increase the quality of sleep during these periods
  • improve both clarity and frequency of dream recall (nice!)

What are the downsides of Biphasic Sleeping?
The main negative aspect with both biphasic and polyphasic routines is simply that they are uncommon. It may become difficult to interract with monophasic sleepers in a timely manner (although a polyphasic routine emphasises this distinction much more than a biphasic one does).
Other than that, there is little that can be said against biphasic sleeping. As with any transition in your life, the first week or so will be a little more difficult than the rest - but only slightly. It is no worse than the jetlag you might experience following a long flight.

There also is the Uberman Sleep Schedule which goes like this: you take 6 naps that are 20-30 minutes each and are spread throughout your day. So you might have your naps at 2am, 6am, 10am, 2pm, 6pm, and 10pm. Since I'm not home for almost half a day.. I couldn't really do that. Here's an experiment:


I'll start from today, going to take a nap right now. Will keep record of how everything goes.

3 comments:

  1. Regarding waking up at 5am, i wake up every weekday at 5:30, it's not that bad after you get used to it. I remember my dreams and i feel prett well rested. But it has some downsides. Try getting of the bed at 5:30 on a rainy cold day.

    Also, i tried poliphasic sleep for a while, perhaps a bit longer than a month. I had to stop because i started to feel terrible. It will also mess with your health pretty bad. I would avoid it if possible, but that's just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know people who do all of their sleeping in short naps. I feel like that wouldn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So it's probably not the best time to experiment with it :/

    ReplyDelete